What exactly is JRE and JDK ?
If you are a Java Developer, and someone asks you what exactly is JRE and JDK, How will you respond?
There are lot of Java Students and Developers who still don’t know what exatly these are! [Yes! I know ;)]
So let’s understand this basic stuff.
JRE [ Java Runtime Environment ]:
- As the name suggests, it is an environment needed for running Java programs.
- It is an implementation of JVM [ Java Virtual Machine ]
- It includes Core libraries and other additional components to run applications and applets written in Java.
JDK [ Java Development Kit ]
- As the name suggests, it is a Development Kit for developing Java applications.
- It includes JRE, set of API classes, Java compiler,debugger, and additional files needed to develop java applications.
So, if you just want to run some java applications in your system or browser, you need to install only JRE as you are only running the Java application.
But if you want to develop applications using Java, you need to install JDK.
More Tutorials Coming Soon…